Canterbury College’s international students have superior academic achievement in comprehensive programs.
Guidance is received from the Dean, Careers Counsellor and Subject Coordinators. This support empowers students to maximise their achievements at school preparing them for and advising on tertiary studies.
Canterbury offers the following to assist in optimising academic outcomes”
- Small English language classes to further develop English skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- On-site English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Specialists who are also available before and after school
- Small English language classes to enhance English skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Specialist programs for Gifted and Talented students
- Individual careers counselling
- State-of-the-art facilities and classrooms
- Specialist team providing individual attention to international students
- Safe environment at school and in the community
- Supportive homestay families
- International Liaison Manager on campus
- Teacher interpreters available to communicate with parents
International students generally study six Senior School subjects.
Applied Literacy is a specialist subject for international students dedicated to improving English skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking for use across all subjects. ESL English is generally compulsory and the remaining four subjects are chosen from:
- Ancient History
- Film, Television and New Media
- Health Education
- Home Economics
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Information Processing and Technology
- Legal Studies
- Modern History
- Physical Education
Canterbury College’s inclusive educational environment will enable your child to excel academically, make life-long friends and immerse themselves in the Australian culture. We have specialised staff who ensure that each student’s pastoral and educational needs are met.
High School Preparation (HSP) Course
Our HSP Course prepares students for the Australian Curriculum by developing the language skills needed to integrate into Middle or Senior School (Years 7 – 12).
Students can expect a high degree of individual support and care as they undertake the first stage of their international education.
Our HSP Course offers a comprehensive language foundation, providing students with six hours a day of structured core content including ESL English, Mathematics, Science, Business and Physical Education.
Students may move to a blended timetable of HSP subjects combined with mainstream classes in cases where their English is assessed as being competent in those subjects.
Senior School Curriculum High School Preparation Course (HSP)
International students receive individual guidance from the Dean, Careers Counsellor and Subject Co-ordinators. This support empowers students to maximise their achievements at school preparing them for and advising on tertiary studies.
Canterbury College prides itself on keeping ESL classes to a maximum of 15 students.
Students receive a well-rounded education, both within and outside the classroom to assist in the development of life-long learning. The College atmosphere is founded upon positive relationships among staff, students and parents, as well as the wider community.
The College ethos is based on mutual respect, support and co-operation. Our rich and diverse academic program is supported by a full curriculum of activities, camps and excursions. Technology is integrated in all year levels, providing students with access to laptops, iPads and desktop computers as part of their day-to-day learning.
Canterbury College is a registered CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) College (#01609C).
Primary Education (Prep to Year 7) CRICOS Course Code 073985E
Junior Secondary Studies CRICOS Course Code 028812M
Senior Secondary Studies CRICOS Course Code 023343J