The Canterbury Extracurricular Music program enables students to participate in a range of bands, orchestras, rock ensembles, chamber groups and choirs.
Canterbury Musicians compete and perform at regional, state, national and international music events.
The program encourages students to participate in a range of music making activities engendering a love of music making, group interaction and participation. It caters for students of all abilities, and inspires students to reach their full potential as musicians. Our music program also aids in the development of the life-long skills of team work, commitment and leadership.
Young musicians at Canterbury can be involved in any of the following:
- Junior Singers: Open to all student in Years 2–3
- Junior Choir: Open to all students in Years 4–6
- Treble Voices: For students in Years 5–8
- Girls’ Chorale: Open to all girls in Years 7–12
- Boys’ Vocal Group: Open to all boys in Years 7–12
- Cantabile: Open to girls in Years 8–12
- Wind Band: For beginner woodwind, brass and percussionists upon recommendation of Studio Music Teacher
- Concert Band: For progressing band students.
- Symphonic Band: For advanced band students working on at least AMEB Grade 3 standard or equivalent. Exceptions are made for students working on lower grades who are progressing at an outstanding rate.
- Stage Band Jazz Ensemble: For advanced players. Membership in Symphonic Band required, with the exception of piano, guitar and bass.
- Jazz Band Jazz Ensemble: For developing players.
- All Star Strings: For students who have just started to learn a string instrument from Year 3 and upwards.
- Junior Strings: For students who have completed the Year 3 String program and are enrolled in Studio Music Lessons on a stringed instrument. Students taking lessons outside Canterbury College are informally auditioned.
- String Orchestra: For students who are working on at least Grade 2 AMEB standard music and are enrolled in Studio Music Program on a stringed instrument.
- Symphonia: For students who are working on at least Grade 4 AMEB standard music or equivalent, also become the string section of the Symphony Orchestra
- Ritornello: For the most advanced string players in the Symphony Orchestra who are working on at least Grade 5 AMEB standard music or equivalent.
A number of smaller Chamber Music Ensembles are offered. These may include:
- Clarinet Choir
- Flute Ensemble
- Saxophone Ensemble
- Guitar Ensembles
- Brass Ensemble
- Percussion Ensemble
- String Quartets
- Rock School Program
The Performance Music Program
Our Performance Music Program encourages students to participate in a range of music making activities and engenders a love of music making, group interaction and participation. We cater to students of all abilities and build an appreciation of a diverse range of musical genres.